Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thing #42 Pimp Your Twitter

I created an account and made a post. As a beginner, I decided to see what Twitter was all about.   I did check out all the articles that was mentioned in the assignment.  I guess I'm just not sure about Twitter.  It didn't help that I had a "follower" as soon as I signed up.  I need to find out how to delete her from my following if possible.  Don't like the message she left.
I did create a tweet and played around with the design and added an avatar to my profile.

I like FaceBook and created a page for our school library.  I don't plan on creating one on Twitter.  At this point, I don't see a need for it at the elementary level.  There is not enough time to keep it up to be useful. I don't like the micro-blogging.  Not enough characters to explain at times unless you link to another site.

It was wonderful to see all the public and university libraries that tweet, keeping the community posted on what is going on.
I did a search for our library, school, etc. and did not find anything mentioned.  I did look at LibraryJournal and New York Public Library Twitter accounts.  I have noticed that links are used a great deals so that readers can get more information. It is a way to direct readers to your website. I even looked at one with the subject of sewing.  Not impressed.

I checked out Susan's and Allana's Twitter, but both are private.  I did send a request to each.   Christa certainly has a lot of followers.  I liked her comment about the free books from the bank.
Michael needs to be careful about letting people know where he is at.  Many people have their places robbed that way.  It is a safety issue.  (Can you tell that I have been teaching Internet Safety lately?)

I don't think that this is something that will be useful to use with the library or personally, but I'm glad that I took the time to check it out.  I will check it out every once in awhile to see if my opinion changes or not.
Twitter account

2 comments:

Michael Sauers said...

I wrote a comment responding to your thoughts about my tweeting of my location but it was too long for Blogger's commenting functions. I've posted it on my blog @ http://travelinlibrarian.info/2010/11/on-tweeting-my-location-and-security/.

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right - Twitter isn't for everyone. Or every library. I'm glad you took a look at it and it looks like you're learning some things from other libraries who tweet!